All Collections
Your Accounts
How can I complain?
How can I complain?
Updated over a week ago

We hope we never give you any reason to complain but if you want to you can:

Freetrade Limited

Level 2, The Truman Brewery

Brick Lane


E1 6QL

If you’re not completely happy with our final response, you can refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service, free of charge at:

Financial Ombudsman Service

Exchange Tower


E14 9SR

Tel: 0300 123 9123

Financial Ombudsman website

Open banking complaints

TrueLayer is providing the regulated Payment Initiation Service and is authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority under the Electronic Money Regulations 2011 (Firm Reference Number: 901096).

Great Customer Service is important to TrueLayer. If you are unhappy with any part of TrueLayer’s Payment Initiation Service, the easiest way for them to help resolve your issue is for you to contact their Client Care team via their website by clicking here.

Did this answer your question?